Welcome to St Cuthbert’s Church, Dufton.

St Cuthbert’s Church is situated 0.7 miles North of the village of Dufton, Cumbria, England. Not to be confused with nearby St Cuthbert’s church, Milburn. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Appleby, the archdeaconry of Carlisle and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with those of ten local churches to for the benefice of Heart of Eden.

The Parish Church of St Cuthbert, Dufton, is situated three quarters of a mile north-west of the village of Dufton – the name of which means ‘dove farm’ – and nestles beneath the eastern fells above the Eden Valley, about three miles north of Appleby and twelve miles south-east of Penrith. From the new churchyard, fine views are to be had of Dufton Pike and the Pennines. The old churchyard is curvilinear, indicating a Celtic foundation. ‘Old Dufton’, the site of a settlement on the fell above Dufton, has been identified as Romano-British. The first mention of ‘the manor of Dufton’ occurs in the Pipe Rolls of 1176 and of the church itself in Papal Taxation Records of 1291.